Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

Copyright © 2011-2024, Paul Scrivens-Smith

All rights reserved. This work may not be reproduced, in whole or in part, without the prior written permission of the creator.

Sunday 10 June 2012

El Cid: More Peones, more Aqueros and more Pilgrims

I'm back from holiday and have been working some more on the Christian Spanish for the Age of El Cid. Twenty three models completed this weekend and as usual they are all from the Perry Miniatures First Crusade range. I had base-coated and washed the Pilgrims and Aqueros before I left so only needed to do the highlights and bases on those, but the Peones were done from scratch.

Firstly, I finished off the last four Armed Pilgrims:

Four pilgrims, two with axe and two with staff-sling
 This now makes up a unit of 12 skirmishers.

12 Pilgrims

Same again from a different angle
I had originally done 12 Peones with Throwing Spears, these were originally going to just be used as a skirmishing light infantry unit. However, I've now painted up another six of these and some command so that they can be used as a complete block of 21. I did want to get unarmoured ones to match the current batch, but when I checked at the Partizan show a couple of weeks ago these were not in stock so I went for Mailed Spearmen Advancing pack. The command team are from the Foot Command Advancing pack, these match with the more dynamic pose.

Nine Peones

Nine Peones
Finally another ten Aqueros using the Archers pack:

Ten Aqueros

Ten Aqueros
I've made up some magnetised movement trays to allow me to field the combined Peones and Aqueros units. Here are a few shots of the chaps in-situ:

21 Peones with Thrusting Spears and 7 Aqueros

21 Peones with Thrusting Spears and 7 Aqueros

21 Peones with Throwing Spears and 7 Aqueros

21 Peones with Throwing Spears and 7 Aqueros
Last up, here are a few close-ups of the newly painted figures.

Captain

Standard Bearer

Peon

Aqueros

In preparation for Hot Lead at Gripping Beast, I have booked my first game with this army and will be playing Tom of Toms Toy Soldiers in a couple of weeks. Expect a report afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment